Let’s face the obvious: yesterday we were nerds, today we’re the cognitive elite. Let’s conquer.
—Chester G. Edwards
Do the words “core dump” make you shiver with fear? (My wife just giggles whenever she hears it.)
If I asked you to “debug an Apache vfork problem” (again, she giggles), would you know that I’m referring neither to an Indian tribe nor to a utensil?
If you answered “yes” to both of those questions, then I’ve got a job opening you may be interested in. (Location: Cambridge, MA)
A copy of the official description follows. If interested, leave a comment below or email me (at
$my_first_name . '@mail' . $dot . 'ronrothman' . $dot . 'com').
Senior Software Engineer
Posting Date: 04/19/2006
Location: Cambridge, MA
Play a key role in building the next generation of CNET Networks’ company-wide personalization and targeting services. You will design, develop, and deliver solutions enabling our family of sites to provide a rich and individual user experience. We are looking for a top-notch, hands-on Software Engineer with a passion for data-driven systems and optimization. This position calls for a dedicated and self-motivated engineer who can work either independently or with other engineers through the product development lifecycle in a fast-paced web-development environment. Our services are important to revenue and are performance sensitive, requiring extreme care in specification, coding, review, and testing.
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science or related subject and 5-7 years professional experience
- Advanced skills in C++, experience with the STL in a Linux/Unix environment
- Practical experience with Perl, including OOP and library development
- Strong understanding of Linux/Unix command line and environment
- Strong knowledge of SQL and data modeling
- Experience with Apache (including Apache2 module development) a big plus
- Experience developing enterprise applications in Java or Python a plus
- Statistics, mathematics, or quantitative science background a plus
- Excellent teamwork and collaboration skills
- Excellent verbal and communication skills
- Must be detail oriented and focused on data accuracy